JDK-8189251

cowwoc
Administrator
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8189251 being closed as Won't Fix.

Can someone please clarify the downside of named automatic-modules vs normal
modules? I assume that there is some sort of downside; otherwise, we
wouldn't be warning about them.

Thank you,
Gili

Sent from: http://jigsaw-dev.1059479.n5.nabble.com/

Re: JDK-8189251

forax
Hi Gili,
the main issue is that an automatic module can see classes from the classpath, but it also exports all its package so there is no encapsulation, and once you require one automatic module all automatic modules from the module path are visible.

So an automatic module is a great tool when you transitioned to the module world, but in fine, you do not want any automatic modules in you dependency graph.

regards,
Rémi