JDK-8198405 - JImageExtractTest.java & JImageListTest.java failed in Windows

JDK-8198405 - JImageExtractTest.java & JImageListTest.java failed in Windows

Michal Vala
Hi,

I'm trying to investigate failure of JImageExtractTest on Windows.
Failing method is testExtractToReadOnlyDir, issue is simple. It is trying to
extract jimage to read-only directory and it must fail. AFAIK it is not possible
to create read-only directory. I tried set rights programaticaly from java,
manually from windows explorer and windows cmd. Without any success. It
effectively just deny access from explorer and cmd.

Is there any Windows expert who can confirm this or suggest solution? Only
solution I've found is to write something to some mounted ISO image, which is
not an option here.

In case this will be confirmed I suggest to skip this single test on Windows.

--
Michal Vala
OpenJDK QE
Red Hat Czech

Re: JDK-8198405 - JImageExtractTest.java & JImageListTest.java failed in Windows

Alan Bateman
On 21/02/2018 12:23, Michal Vala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to investigate failure of JImageExtractTest on Windows.
> Failing method is testExtractToReadOnlyDir, issue is simple. It is
> trying to extract jimage to read-only directory and it must fail.
> AFAIK it is not possible to create read-only directory. I tried set
> rights programaticaly from java, manually from windows explorer and
> windows cmd. Without any success. It effectively just deny access from
> explorer and cmd.
>
> Is there any Windows expert who can confirm this or suggest solution?
> Only solution I've found is to write something to some mounted ISO
> image, which is not an option here.
>
> In case this will be confirmed I suggest to skip this single test on
> Windows.
I don't have time to detail this just now but you can specify a DACL (as
a FileAttribute<List<AclEntry>>) to Files.createDirectory so that the
directory is created with an initial DACL that denies access.
Alternatively, you can change the DACL of an existing directory. Yes, a
bit complicated to setup. I don't think it would be too much of a
surprise for this sub-test to only execute on platforms that support
POSIX file permissions (I think some of the tests check this already).

On 02/21/2018 02:44 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:

> On 21/02/2018 12:23, Michal Vala wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to investigate failure of JImageExtractTest on Windows.
>> Failing method is testExtractToReadOnlyDir, issue is simple. It is trying to
>> extract jimage to read-only directory and it must fail. AFAIK it is not
>> possible to create read-only directory. I tried set rights programaticaly from
>> java, manually from windows explorer and windows cmd. Without any success. It
>> effectively just deny access from explorer and cmd.
>>
>> Is there any Windows expert who can confirm this or suggest solution? Only
>> solution I've found is to write something to some mounted ISO image, which is
>> not an option here.
>>
>> In case this will be confirmed I suggest to skip this single test on Windows.
> I don't have time to detail this just now but you can specify a DACL (as a
> FileAttribute<List<AclEntry>>) to Files.createDirectory so that the directory is
> created with an initial DACL that denies access. Alternatively, you can change
> the DACL of an existing directory. Yes, a bit complicated to setup. I don't
> think it would be too much of a surprise for this sub-test to only execute on
> platforms that support POSIX file permissions (I think some of the tests check
> this already).

Yes, I've tried this, but I'm still able to create a file in that directory. It
prevents just from accessing the directory from explorer or cmd. However, I can
freely access it from cygwin or java.

--
Michal Vala
OpenJDK QE