Minimal and client VM for jlink?

Nicolai Parlog
 Hi,

every source I found indicates that jlink makes it possible to create a
runtime image with a client, server, or minimal VM. However I can't make
it work for client and minimal:

        Error: Selected VM client doesn't exist.

I tried with the Oracle JDK 9 for Linux (9 and 9.0.1) and the reference
implementation[1]. It looks to me as if these JDKs only contain the
server VM. Is that and the absence of client and minimal documented
somewhere? Or am I just missing some flag? Is there a way to create an
image with the minimal VM?

 so long ... Nicolai

[1] http://jdk.java.net/java-se-ri/9

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx

Re: Minimal and client VM for jlink?

David Holmes
Hi Nicolai,

On 9/01/2018 6:30 AM, Nicolai Parlog wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> every source I found indicates that jlink makes it possible to create a
> runtime image with a client, server, or minimal VM. However I can't make
> it work for client and minimal:
>
> Error: Selected VM client doesn't exist.
>
> I tried with the Oracle JDK 9 for Linux (9 and 9.0.1) and the reference
> implementation[1]. It looks to me as if these JDKs only contain the
> server VM. Is that and the absence of client and minimal documented
> somewhere? Or am I just missing some flag? Is there a way to create an
> image with the minimal VM?

The Client and Minimal VMs are only available on 32-bit platforms. The
64-bit platforms do not have them. You may be able to change the build
to force their creation with 64-bit but I'm not sure what the state of
that is.

For Oracle JDK the fact only the server VM exists is documented in the
VM Guide:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/vm/java-virtual-machine-technology-overview.htm#JSJVM-GUID-982B244A-9B01-479A-8651-CB6475019281

"In Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 8 and earlier, different
implementations of the JVM, (the client VM, server VM, and minimal VM),
were supported for configurations commonly used as clients, servers, and
for embedded systems. As most systems can now take advantage of the
server VM, the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 9 provides only
that VM implementation."

David

>   so long ... Nicolai
>

> [1] http://jdk.java.net/java-se-ri/9

Re: Minimal and client VM for jlink?

Nicolai Parlog
 Hi David,

thank you very much. However much I search, I rarely end up finding this
stuff myself (even "java se 9 vm client server minimal" doesn't do the
trick).

Maybe the jlink documentation and/or --list-plugins output could mention
that, e.g. by adding that link?

 so long ... Nicolai