Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Andre Tadeu de Carvalho
Hi,

I am exploring the jmod utility and I am stuck with the following: I
already generated the jmod file and I want to add a hash from the dependent
module in it. I asked the same question in StackOverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54269994/how-should-i-use-jmod-hash

What I am doing:

jmod create --class-path target/mods/A target/jmods/A.jmod
jmod create --class-path target/mods/B target/jmods/B.jmod

Where B depends on A. Assuming I understood the documentation right, I
could add B hash into A.jmod. I am trying the following:

jmod hash --hash-module B --module-path target/jmods target/jmods/A.jmod

When I run jmod describe, the hash is still not there. What I am doing
wrong? Can I use jmod hash the way I am using it?

Thanks in advance,

André Tadeu de Carvalho

Re: Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Alan Bateman
On 21/01/2019 12:57, Andre Tadeu de Carvalho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am exploring the jmod utility and I am stuck with the following: I
> already generated the jmod file and I want to add a hash from the dependent
> module in it. I asked the same question in StackOverflow:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54269994/how-should-i-use-jmod-hash
>
> What I am doing:
>
> jmod create --class-path target/mods/A target/jmods/A.jmod
> jmod create --class-path target/mods/B target/jmods/B.jmod
>
> Where B depends on A. Assuming I understood the documentation right, I
> could add B hash into A.jmod. I am trying the following:
>
> jmod hash --hash-module B --module-path target/jmods target/jmods/A.jmod
>
> When I run jmod describe, the hash is still not there. What I am doing
> wrong? Can I use jmod hash the way I am using it?

I think you've run a bug with the `hash` option to update an existing
JMOD file.

Can you change the pattern you specify `--hash-modules .*` and see if
that works for you? Alternatively, specify the --hash-modules option
when creating the JMOD.

Re: Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Andre Tadeu de Carvalho
Em ter, 22 de jan de 2019 às 10:06, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> On 21/01/2019 12:57, Andre Tadeu de Carvalho wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am exploring the jmod utility and I am stuck with the following: I
> > already generated the jmod file and I want to add a hash from the
> dependent
> > module in it. I asked the same question in StackOverflow:
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54269994/how-should-i-use-jmod-hash
> >
> > What I am doing:
> >
> > jmod create --class-path target/mods/A target/jmods/A.jmod
> > jmod create --class-path target/mods/B target/jmods/B.jmod
> >
> > Where B depends on A. Assuming I understood the documentation right, I
> > could add B hash into A.jmod. I am trying the following:
> >
> > jmod hash --hash-module B --module-path target/jmods target/jmods/A.jmod
> >
> > When I run jmod describe, the hash is still not there. What I am doing
> > wrong? Can I use jmod hash the way I am using it?
> >
> I think you've run a bug with the `hash` option to update an existing
> JMOD file.
>
> Can you change the pattern you specify `--hash-modules .*` and see if
> that works for you? Alternatively, specify the --hash-modules option
> when creating the JMOD.
>
> -Alan.
>

> Hi Alan!

Thanks for your response. I've tried to use the parameter --hash-modules
with the pattern .*, but it didn't work. For now, I'm already creating the
modules with --hash-modules.
I've no further questions and thank you for your time.

Cheers,

André Tadeu de Carvalho

Re: Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Mandy Chung

On 1/22/19 4:59 AM, Andre Tadeu de Carvalho wrote:

> Em ter, 22 de jan de 2019 às 10:06, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
>> On 21/01/2019 12:57, Andre Tadeu de Carvalho wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am exploring the jmod utility and I am stuck with the following: I
>>> already generated the jmod file and I want to add a hash from the
>> dependent
>>> module in it. I asked the same question in StackOverflow:
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54269994/how-should-i-use-jmod-hash
>>>
>>> What I am doing:
>>>
>>> jmod create --class-path target/mods/A target/jmods/A.jmod
>>> jmod create --class-path target/mods/B target/jmods/B.jmod
>>>
>>> Where B depends on A. Assuming I understood the documentation right, I
>>> could add B hash into A.jmod. I am trying the following:
>>>
>>> jmod hash --hash-module B --module-path target/jmods target/jmods/A.jmod
>>>
>>> When I run jmod describe, the hash is still not there. What I am doing
>>> wrong? Can I use jmod hash the way I am using it?
>>>
>> I think you've run a bug with the `hash` option to update an existing
>> JMOD file.
>>
>> Can you change the pattern you specify `--hash-modules .*` and see if
>> that works for you? Alternatively, specify the --hash-modules option
>> when creating the JMOD.
>>
>> -Alan.
>>

>> Hi Alan!
> Thanks for your response. I've tried to use the parameter --hash-modules
> with the pattern .*, but it didn't work. For now, I'm already creating the
> modules with --hash-modules.
> I've no further questions and thank you for your time.

I created an issue to track this jmod hash command bug.  jmod create
--hash-module works.

I think jmod hash --hash-module "A|B" would be another workaround.

Re: Newbie Jigsaw question: How should I use 'jmod hash'

Andre Tadeu de Carvalho
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, JDK 11.0.2-open, and bash. I discovered that
jmod --hash-modules "A|B" does not work, but jmod --hash-modules ".*" do
work.

Thanks,

André Tadeu de Carvalho