Proper term for non-automatic modules

Nicolai Parlog
 Hi!

While describing the difference between automatic and non-automatic
modules I often need a term do describe the modules that are not
automatic (as I did twice just now).

As far as I know there is no such term. There are a few related ones but
unless I missed something none describes quite the right set:

* named modules include automatic modules
* platform modules leave out user-created modules
* application modules include automatic modules
  (if they don't, then `{ platform } ∪ { application }` is
   the right set)

I think a term for `{ named } ∖ { automatic }` is important when
discussing automatic modules and it would be very helpful if the Jigsaw
team coins it.

My suggestions are "explicit", "proper", and "manual" modules.

 so long ... Nicolai

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx

Re: Proper term for non-automatic modules

Alan Bateman

On 29/08/2017 06:52, Nicolai Parlog wrote:

>   Hi!
>
> While describing the difference between automatic and non-automatic
> modules I often need a term do describe the modules that are not
> automatic (as I did twice just now).
>
> As far as I know there is no such term. There are a few related ones but
> unless I missed something none describes quite the right set:
>
> * named modules include automatic modules
> * platform modules leave out user-created modules
> * application modules include automatic modules
>    (if they don't, then `{ platform } ∪ { application }` is
>     the right set)
>
> I think a term for `{ named } ∖ { automatic }` is important when
> discussing automatic modules and it would be very helpful if the Jigsaw
> team coins it.
>
> My suggestions are "explicit", "proper", and "manual" modules.

We've been using term "explicit".  You'll see it used in the
ModuleFinder.of(Path...) spec for example where it describes a modular
JAR as defining an explicit module.

Re: Proper term for non-automatic modules

Sander Mak
Hi Nicolai,

> On 29 Aug 2017, at 07:52, Nicolai Parlog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While describing the difference between automatic and non-automatic
> modules I often need a term do describe the modules that are not
> automatic (as I did twice just now).
>
> As far as I know there is no such term.

We noticed the same issue while going through the copy-edit phase for our manuscript. Ultimately we settled on using the 'nonautomatic' adjective when it's important to stress the difference with automatic modules. A 'proper' may have snuck in at some places as well. Naming things still is hard...

Sander

Re: Proper term for non-automatic modules

Nicolai Parlog
 Hi Sander,

I keep calling them "proper" as well, but when using that a lot in one
chapter I git sick of it. ;)

 so long ... Nicolai

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx

Re: Proper term for non-automatic modules

Nicolai Parlog
 Hi Alan,

thanks for your quick answer. I shall use "explicit", then. :)

 so long ... Nicolai

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx

Re: Proper term for non-automatic modules

mark.reinhold
2017/8/28 23:56:44 -0700, [hidden email]:

> We've been using term "explicit". You'll see it used in the
> ModuleFinder.of(Path...) spec for example where it describes a modular
> JAR as defining an explicit module.

Yes -- "explicit" is the appropriate term here.  We've used it not only
in the API spec but in the JLS, SotMS, and most of our presentations.

I'd avoid "nonautomatic" -- it's not incorrect, but it's a negative
definition and therefore harder for a newcomer to grasp.

- Mark