RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

Doug Simon
Please review this change that removes the existing Graal service provider for hooking into the Platform MBean Server and makes jdk.internal.vm.compiler.management an upgradeable module.

Please refer to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187490?focusedCommentId=14170942&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14170942 for discussion on the latter point.

The Graal changes that dynamically register an MBean for accessing Graal will be part of a subsequent Graal update.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8187490/

-Doug

Re: RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

Mandy Chung

On 4/13/18 2:24 AM, Doug Simon wrote:
> Please review this change that removes the existing Graal service provider for hooking into the Platform MBean Server and makes jdk.internal.vm.compiler.management an upgradeable module.
>
> Please refer to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187490?focusedCommentId=14170942&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14170942 for discussion on the latter point.
>
> The Graal changes that dynamically register an MBean for accessing Graal will be part of a subsequent Graal update.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8187490/

This looks okay.   jdk.internal.vm.compiler.management will become empty
until the next Graal update and I guess this makes it easier to make
Graal change in the upstream project.   This is fine with me.

Re: RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

David Holmes
Hi Doug,

Not a review. :) Just wondering what HotSpotRuntimeMBean has to do with
this ???

Thanks,
David

On 12/04/2018 19:24, Doug Simon wrote:
> Please review this change that removes the existing Graal service provider for hooking into the Platform MBean Server and makes jdk.internal.vm.compiler.management an upgradeable module.
>
> Please refer to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187490?focusedCommentId=14170942&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14170942 for discussion on the latter point.
>
> The Graal changes that dynamically register an MBean for accessing Graal will be part of a subsequent Graal update.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8187490/

This looks okay to me.

Re: RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

Doug Simon

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 07:15, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Not a review. :) Just wondering what HotSpotRuntimeMBean has to do with this ???

These are the non-Graal code base changes needed to move the bean out of the jdk.internal.vm.compiler module. The rest of the changes will come in the next Graal update. If you'd like, I can defer pushing these changes until the Graal changes land on github so that the complete change can be reviewed.

-Doug

On 13/04/2018 5:12 PM, Doug Simon wrote:

>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 07:15, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Not a review. :) Just wondering what HotSpotRuntimeMBean has to do with this ???
>
> These are the non-Graal code base changes needed to move the bean out of the jdk.internal.vm.compiler module. The rest of the changes will come in the next Graal update. If you'd like, I can defer pushing these changes until the Graal changes land on github so that the complete change can be reviewed.

So we seem to have both HotSpotRuntimeMBean and HotspotRuntimeMBean
(note small 's') defined in the source code! That seems to be a bad
thing to me! I was wondering what this had to do with the small 's'
HotspotRuntimeMBean - and the answer seems to be "nothing"!

David

> -Doug
>
>> On 13/04/2018 4:24 AM, Doug Simon wrote:
>>> Please review this change that removes the existing Graal service provider for hooking into the Platform MBean Server and makes jdk.internal.vm.compiler.management an upgradeable module.
>>> Please refer to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8187490?focusedCommentId=14170942&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14170942 for discussion on the latter point.
>>> The Graal changes that dynamically register an MBean for accessing Graal will be part of a subsequent Graal update.
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8187490/
>>> -Doug

Re: RFR: 8187490: HotSpotRuntimeMBean should be moved to Graal management module

Doug Simon

> On 13 Apr 2018, at 15:59, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13/04/2018 5:12 PM, Doug Simon wrote:
>>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 07:15, David Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Doug,
>>>
>>> Not a review. :) Just wondering what HotSpotRuntimeMBean has to do with this ???
>> These are the non-Graal code base changes needed to move the bean out of the jdk.internal.vm.compiler module. The rest of the changes will come in the next Graal update. If you'd like, I can defer pushing these changes until the Graal changes land on github so that the complete change can be reviewed.
>
> So we seem to have both HotSpotRuntimeMBean and HotspotRuntimeMBean (note small 's') defined in the source code! That seems to be a bad thing to me! I was wondering what this had to do with the small 's' HotspotRuntimeMBean - and the answer seems to be "nothing"!

There is actually no HotSpotRuntimeMBean.java source - it's HotSpotGraalMBean.java. I've renamed the issue and fixed the naming in the description.

-Doug