Re: Proposal (revised): Allow illegal access to internal APIs by default in JDK 9

Re: Proposal (revised): Allow illegal access to internal APIs by default in JDK 9

Robert Gibson
Hi Mark,
What is the intended interaction between this proposal and Java Web Start? I'm testing with JDK EA build 175 and it looks like a VM launched through Web Start is running with --illegal-access=deny, with no possibility of changing it - is this by design? (I have filed a few bugs in this area in case it is by accident, but they are not showing up in Jira, or they are targeted for JDK 10 which is obviously too late, if we are talking about unintentional behaviour.)
Thanks,
Robert

Re: Proposal (revised): Allow illegal access to internal APIs by default in JDK 9

Alan Bateman
On 27/06/2017 08:24, Robert Gibson wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> What is the intended interaction between this proposal and Java Web Start? I'm testing with JDK EA build 175 and it looks like a VM launched through Web Start is running with --illegal-access=deny, with no possibility of changing it - is this by design? (I have filed a few bugs in this area in case it is by accident, but they are not showing up in Jira, or they are targeted for JDK 10 which is obviously too late, if we are talking about unintentional behaviour.)

Applets and JNLP applications are intentionally launched with
`--illegal-access=deny`. If JNLP applications need to break into JDK
classes then the finer grained `--add-exports` and `--add-opens` options
can be specified in the JNLP. The Java Control Panel can also be used to
specify `--illegal-access=permit` if needed too.

On 27 Jun 2017, at 09:34, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 27/06/2017 08:24, Robert Gibson wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>> What is the intended interaction between this proposal and Java Web Start? I'm testing with JDK EA build 175 and it looks like a VM launched through Web Start is running with --illegal-access=deny, with no possibility of changing it - is this by design? (I have filed a few bugs in this area in case it is by accident, but they are not showing up in Jira, or they are targeted for JDK 10 which is obviously too late, if we are talking about unintentional behaviour.)
>>
> Applets and JNLP applications are intentionally launched with `--illegal-access=deny`. If JNLP applications need to break into JDK classes then the finer grained `--add-exports` and `--add-opens` options can be specified in the JNLP. The Java Control Panel can also be used to specify `--illegal-access=permit` if needed too.
>
> -Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your quick response. No debug option?
Robert

On 27/06/2017 08:46, Robert Gibson wrote:
> :
> Hi Alan,
> Thanks for your quick response. No debug option?

Not in the JNLP but you should be able to use the Java Control Panel to
add `--illegal-access=debug`.

Re: Proposal (revised): Allow illegal access to internal APIs by default in JDK 9

Robert Gibson

> On 27 Jun 2017, at 10:18, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 27/06/2017 08:46, Robert Gibson wrote:
>> :
>> Hi Alan,
>> Thanks for your quick response. No debug option?
>>
> Not in the JNLP but you should be able to use the Java Control Panel to add `--illegal-access=debug`.
>
> -Alan.

Thanks for the follow-up: the debug option doesn't seem to work, bug report filed as 9049772 - hope it doesn't get targeted to 10 ;)

Regards,
Robert

On 28/06/2017 08:54, Robert Gibson wrote:
> :
> Thanks for the follow-up: the debug option doesn't seem to work, bug report filed as 9049772 - hope it doesn't get targeted to 10 ;)

If the illegal access is succeeding then it means Java Web Start has
picked up the option that you added via Control Panel. I can't tell if
you are opened the JNLP in the browser or using the `javaws` CLI but I
assume this issue is about where stderr has been directed.

Re: Proposal (revised): Allow illegal access to internal APIs by default in JDK 9

Robert Gibson

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 10:57, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If the illegal access is succeeding then it means Java Web Start has picked up the option that you added via Control Panel. I can't tell if you are opened the JNLP in the browser or using the `javaws` CLI but I assume this issue is about where stderr has been directed.
>
> -Alan

Sure.
(It actually doesn't make any difference how the app is started, browser or javaws, results are the same in either case.)

Filed as JDK-8183110.

Thanks,
Robert

On 28/06/2017 14:46, Robert Gibson wrote:
> Sure.
> (It actually doesn't make any difference how the app is started, browser or javaws, results are the same in either case.)

Can you confirm that this is Windows only? Andy tells me that javaws.exe
is the equivalent of javaw.exe rather than java.exe, which is why I'm
asking.

On 28 Jun 2017, at 17:31, Alan Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/06/2017 14:46, Robert Gibson wrote:
>> Sure.
>> (It actually doesn't make any difference how the app is started, browser or javaws, results are the same in either case.)
>>

> Can you confirm that this is Windows only? Andy tells me that javaws.exe is the equivalent of javaw.exe rather than java.exe, which is why I'm asking.
>
> -Alan

Sorry, the only Linux environments I have access to are headless and Web Start doesn’t start (no X11 libraries).
Robert