javax.inject module?

Tom De Wolf
Hi,

Does someone know why the javax.inject annotations contained in for example
the following maven dependency are not part of the jdk?

<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.inject/javax.inject -->
<dependency>
    <groupId>javax.inject</groupId>
    <artifactId>javax.inject</artifactId>
    <version>1</version>
</dependency>

Who or which dependency/jar can be used to depend on this set of injection
annotations as an explicit module or a module with a reserved automatic
module name? Who is responsible to tackle this for javax.inject?

Thanks,

Tom De Wolf
Architect
ACA-IT Solutions
Belgium

Re: javax.inject module?

Lance Andersen
You can grab the jar from maven central https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.inject/javax.inject/1

The JSR  can be found here https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=330.

I am hoping to try and get the JSR 330 spec leads to support updating the implementation jar with an automatic module name if at all possible. The proposed module name is java.inject

Best
Lance
On Oct 4, 2017, at 11:17 AM, Tom De Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does someone know why the javax.inject annotations contained in for example
> the following maven dependency are not part of the jdk?
>
> <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.inject/javax.inject -->
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>javax.inject</groupId>
>    <artifactId>javax.inject</artifactId>
>    <version>1</version>
> </dependency>
>
> Who or which dependency/jar can be used to depend on this set of injection
> annotations as an explicit module or a module with a reserved automatic
> module name? Who is responsible to tackle this for javax.inject?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom De Wolf
> Architect
> ACA-IT Solutions
> Belgium

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803

Re: javax.inject module?

forax
Hi Lance,
i'm not sure you have the right to use java or jdk as prefix for your module, or do you mean "javax.inject" ?

Rémi

> I am hoping to try and get the JSR 330 spec leads to support updating the
> implementation jar with an automatic module name if at all possible. The
> proposed module name is java.inject
>
> Best
> Lance
> On Oct 4, 2017, at 11:17 AM, Tom De Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does someone know why the javax.inject annotations contained in for example
>> the following maven dependency are not part of the jdk?
>>
>> <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.inject/javax.inject -->
>> <dependency>
>>    <groupId>javax.inject</groupId>
>>    <artifactId>javax.inject</artifactId>
>>    <version>1</version>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> Who or which dependency/jar can be used to depend on this set of injection
>> annotations as an explicit module or a module with a reserved automatic
>> module name? Who is responsible to tackle this for javax.inject?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom De Wolf
>> Architect
>> ACA-IT Solutions
>> Belgium
>

> Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
> Oracle Java Engineering
> 1 Network Drive
> Burlington, MA 01803

Re: javax.inject module?

Lance Andersen
Hi Remi,

Sorry if my message was confusing.

JEP 200, http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/200, defines that:

——————————————
Standard modules, whose specifications are governed by the JCP, have names starting with the string "java.".

JSR 330  specifies the  javax.inject package.  The suggested module name would be java.inject.

The hope is that the spec leads for JSR 330, will at a minimum update their API jar to include  the MANIFEST attribute Automatic-Module-Name
        Automatic-Module-Name: java.inject

This will help developers in the migration to modules.

Best
Lance

On Oct 4, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Remi Forax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lance,
> i'm not sure you have the right to use java or jdk as prefix for your module, or do you mean "javax.inject" ?
>
> Rémi

it's not, it's my mind which is confused :)

> JEP 200, [ http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/200 | http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/200 ]
> , defines that:

>> ——————————————
>> Standard modules, whose specifications are governed by the JCP, have names
>> starting with the string "java." .

> JSR 330 specifies the javax.inject package. The suggested module name would be
> java.inject.

> The hope is that the spec leads for JSR 330, will at a minimum update their API
> jar to include the MANIFEST attribute Automatic-Module-Name
> Automatic-Module-Name: java.inject

> This will help developers in the migration to modules.

thanks for the answer,
Rémi

> Best
> Lance

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Remi Forax < [ mailto:[hidden email] |
> [hidden email] ] > wrote:

>> Hi Lance,
>> i'm not sure you have the right to use java or jdk as prefix for your module, or
>> do you mean "javax.inject" ?

>> Rémi

Re: javax.inject module?

Lance Andersen
yes, I will be reaching out to them in the near future…

On Oct 4, 2017, at 2:54 PM, Tom De Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed it looks like the @Inject api is quite an important jar to get migrated into an explicit module as other frameworks downstream will need it to be able to correctly migrate themselves. Can someone contact the spec leads or is there another communication channel on which the request is should be launched?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tom
> Op wo 4 okt. 2017 om 20:36 schreef <[hidden email]>

Lance,

Any news on javax.inject getting a stable automatic module name?

Thanks,

Tom

Op wo 4 okt. 2017 om 21:11 schreef Tom De Wolf <[hidden email]>