sync'ing up jigsaw/jigsaw?

Alan Bateman
Mandy,

I'm cleaning up my environment and wondering about moving jigsaw/jigsaw
to jdk8 (which would mean changing everything to 8-ea form 7-ea in
addition to sync'ing up the forest). Is this something you are doing?
Just checking (I don't mind doing it, seems like you've done more than
your fair share of sync'ing up over the last year).

Re: sync'ing up jigsaw/jigsaw?

Mandy Chung
  On 08/09/11 10:47, Alan Bateman wrote:
> p my environment and wondering about moving jigsaw/jigsaw to jdk8
> (which would mean changing everything to 8-ea form 7-ea in addition to
> sync'ing up the forest). Is this something you are doing? Just
> checking (I don't mind doing it, seems like you've done more than your
> fair share of sync'ing up over the last year).

Yes, I'm working on it.  I ran into several small issues, one after
another, that I had to fix.  My modules build now fails when using the
jdk-module-image to build langtools.

     [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
conjunction with -source 1.7
     [javac] error: warnings found and -Werror specified
     [javac] 1 error

Hope this is the last one.

Re: sync'ing up jigsaw/jigsaw?

  I have the merge ready.  Besides changing everything to 8-ea from
7-ea, I also have to change the langtools to build with JDK 7:
(1) to use the jigsaw class to determine if the stubs need to be generated
(2) to add "-options" to the -Xlint option (the "javac.lint.opts" property).
This is needed for the boot cycle build when it bootstraps to build
langtools with the module image.  jdk-module-image no longer has rt.jar
and thus -Xbootclasspath is not set but the boot.javac.source = 1.6.
The langtools build failed with this:

     [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
conjunction with -source 1.6
     [javac] error: warnings found and -Werror specified

It seems to me that the langtools build needs further cleanup for
building with jdk-module-image.  So ignoring javac options warning in
-Xlint is just a workaround for now.

Jon,
    Does this workaround look okay to you (see
langtools/make/build.properties and build.xml)?  I'll leave it to you to
do a better fix :)

Webrev:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jigsaw/webrevs/jigsaw-jdk8-merge/

Mandy

On 08/09/11 10:47, Alan Bateman wrote:
> Mandy,
>
> I'm cleaning up my environment and wondering about moving
> jigsaw/jigsaw to jdk8 (which would mean changing everything to 8-ea
> form 7-ea in addition to sync'ing up the forest). Is this something
> you are doing? Just checking (I don't mind doing it, seems like you've
> done more than your fair share of sync'ing up over the last year).

Re: sync'ing up jigsaw/jigsaw?

Jonathan Gibbons
Yeah, the workaround is fine.

-- Jon

On 08/12/2011 01:44 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:

>  I have the merge ready.  Besides changing everything to 8-ea from
> 7-ea, I also have to change the langtools to build with JDK 7:
> (1) to use the jigsaw class to determine if the stubs need to be
> generated
> (2) to add "-options" to the -Xlint option (the "javac.lint.opts"
> property).
> This is needed for the boot cycle build when it bootstraps to build
> langtools with the module image.  jdk-module-image no longer has
> rt.jar and thus -Xbootclasspath is not set but the boot.javac.source =
> 1.6.   The langtools build failed with this:
>
>     [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
> conjunction with -source 1.6
>     [javac] error: warnings found and -Werror specified
>
> It seems to me that the langtools build needs further cleanup for
> building with jdk-module-image.  So ignoring javac options warning in
> -Xlint is just a workaround for now.
>
> Jon,
>    Does this workaround look okay to you (see
> langtools/make/build.properties and build.xml)?  I'll leave it to you
> to do a better fix :)
>
> Webrev:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jigsaw/webrevs/jigsaw-jdk8-merge/
>
> Mandy
>
> On 08/09/11 10:47, Alan Bateman wrote:
>> Mandy,
>>
>> I'm cleaning up my environment and wondering about moving
>> jigsaw/jigsaw to jdk8 (which would mean changing everything to 8-ea
>> form 7-ea in addition to sync'ing up the forest). Is this something
>> you are doing? Just checking (I don't mind doing it, seems like
>> you've done more than your fair share of sync'ing up over the last
>> year).
>>
>> -Alan

Re: sync'ing up jigsaw/jigsaw?

Mandy Chung
Thanks, Jon.  jigsaw/jigsaw is now sync'ed with jdk 8.

For jprt users, please add "-bootproduct jdk7" in your jprt submit
command for the time being until  make/jprt.properties is updated to use
jdk7 as the boot JDK.  The changeset for 7069993 is already in
jdk8/tl/jdk repo but it also depends on many test fixes to add cygwin
support.  As TL is going to be integrated into the jdk8 master next
week, I'll wait for the TL integration and sync again.

Mandy

On 8/12/11 3:07 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

> Yeah, the workaround is fine.
>
> -- Jon
>
> On 08/12/2011 01:44 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
>>  I have the merge ready.  Besides changing everything to 8-ea from
>> 7-ea, I also have to change the langtools to build with JDK 7:
>> (1) to use the jigsaw class to determine if the stubs need to be
>> generated
>> (2) to add "-options" to the -Xlint option (the "javac.lint.opts"
>> property).
>> This is needed for the boot cycle build when it bootstraps to build
>> langtools with the module image.  jdk-module-image no longer has
>> rt.jar and thus -Xbootclasspath is not set but the boot.javac.source
>> = 1.6.   The langtools build failed with this:
>>
>>     [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in
>> conjunction with -source 1.6
>>     [javac] error: warnings found and -Werror specified
>>
>> It seems to me that the langtools build needs further cleanup for
>> building with jdk-module-image.  So ignoring javac options warning in
>> -Xlint is just a workaround for now.
>>
>> Jon,
>>    Does this workaround look okay to you (see
>> langtools/make/build.properties and build.xml)?  I'll leave it to you
>> to do a better fix :)
>>
>> Webrev:
>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jigsaw/webrevs/jigsaw-jdk8-merge/
>>
>> Mandy
>>
>> On 08/09/11 10:47, Alan Bateman wrote:
>>> Mandy,
>>>
>>> I'm cleaning up my environment and wondering about moving
>>> jigsaw/jigsaw to jdk8 (which would mean changing everything to 8-ea
>>> form 7-ea in addition to sync'ing up the forest). Is this something
>>> you are doing? Just checking (I don't mind doing it, seems like
>>> you've done more than your fair share of sync'ing up over the last
>>> year).
>>>
>>> -Alan

jigsaw sync'ed with jdk8 b01

Mandy Chung
  Jigsaw is now sync'ed with jdk8 b01.

On 08/12/11 23:54, Mandy Chung wrote:

> For jprt users, please add "-bootproduct jdk7" in your jprt submit
> command for the time being until  make/jprt.properties is updated to
> use jdk7 as the boot JDK.  The changeset for 7069993 is already in
> jdk8/tl/jdk repo but it also depends on many test fixes to add cygwin
> support.  As TL is going to be integrated into the jdk8 master next
> week, I'll wait for the TL integration and sync again.

The changeset for 7069993 is in jigsaw repo and so no longer need to
specify -bootproduct option in your jprt job.

Mandy